UMW provides shared servers where individuals and departments can share files for network retrieval. You will hear people refer to these online spaces as the shared drive, New-Share, P Drive (the letter can change, and can be almost any letter). All of these terms refer to the same things.
Types of Network Drives
Most UMW employees will automatically have access to the common shared space (New-Shares), as well as to the space that is shared by your department (for example, Mathematics).
The “New Share”, commonly referred to as the U-drive, is open to all UMW employees. All university employees can view documents in this folder. Documents and forms that all university employees need access to can be placed here. Individual documents should not be placed in this drive. Users should not delete content on this drive that is not their own.
It is a violation of the Electronic Storage of Highly Sensitive Data Policy to place highly sensitive data in this location. If you have concerns about content on this page please contact Information Security.
The department shares provide collaboration spaces for departments. All users within the department have access to these spaces. Individual folders can be locked down.
Requests for locked down folders should be made to the IT Help Desk who will route them to appropriate technical staff. Users with additional questions about securing documents on this drive should contact Information Security.
Accessing the Network Drives
To access these areas from a PC, go to My Computer.
Mapping a Network Drive (PC)
Follow these steps to share documents via the Shared Drive with others.
1. You need to make sure that you’re logging in via the UMW option.
· If you’re using Windows XP, make sure that you’re choosing UMW from the drop down list.
· If you’re using Windows 7, put UMW\your_user_name in the UserName box.
2. Once you’ve done that, go to My Computer. If you’re using a wired connection, you’ll see New-Share. That’s the drive that’s shared with all Faculty and Staff. There should also be a drive for your department.
3. If you’re using a wireless connection, you’ll have to map to the drive the first time that you access it. To do so:
- Right-click on “Computer” in the menu at the left. (For Windows XP, right-click on “My Computer”)
- Select MAP NETWORK DRIVE
- Choose a drive letter
- In the “folder” box type the following (note upper and lowercase characters must be included as shown): \\UMW-FS.umw.local\Shares
- Check Reconnect at log in.
- Click the “Finish” button
Network Drive on a Mac
To access these areas from a Mac, see the Go menu, and choose Connect to Server.
In the server address bar, type the network address of the drive (note upper and lowercase characters): smb://UMW-FS.umw.local /Shares
You are asked to authenticate with your Domain credentials- this will be the username and password that you use for e-mail. Click OK.
On and Off Campus Access
Shared Drives are accessible on-campus via an Ethernet connection or a connection to UMW-Secured. To access this space from off-campus, you must first establish a VPN connection to campus.