Office support, free student and employee downloads, and discounted purchases for UMW employees.
The university uses Microsoft Office as our standard office productivity suite. We currently install Office 2019 in all labs and classrooms, and can install it on any university-owned computer. Any employee who wants to upgrade their university computer to Office 2019 can request this install through the Help Desk.
Details follow on Office support, how students and employees that have migrated to Office 365 can get Office as a free download. Employees that have not yet migrated can purchase Office 2019 directly from Microsoft at a greatly reduced educational pricing. Migration of all employees to Office 365 is currently planned to be complete by the end of 2019.
Microsoft Office Online Support
Online help and training for Office is available from Microsoft at http://support.office.com
Students and Employees Migrated to Office 365: Free Microsoft Office Download
Active students and employees receive a free copy of Office as part of their Office 365 package.
- Login to your student email account: https://login.microsoftonline.com
- Click the “Office 365” link in the upper left corner.
- Next, click the “Install Office” button in the upper right.
- Follow the installation instructions that follow. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the Help Desk.
Employees not yet migrated: Microsoft Home Use Program
UMW employees are eligible to purchase discounted products for use on employee-owned personal computers. In the past, this was handled through the Help Desk, but this new program provides new services and support DIRECTLY FROM MICROSOFT.
Employees are eligible to purchase one (1) copy of any/all of the following (specific versions may change):
- Office for Windows: $9.95
- Office for Mac: $9.95
- Project Professional for Windows: $9.95
- Visio Professional for Windows: $9.95
Important notes about this program:
- It is important to understand that this program is provided by Microsoft, and any purchases you make are an agreement between you and Microsoft, not between you and the university.
- Please note the system requirements for the versions available as Microsoft may alter those requirements along with the versions of each product available.
- As always, the UMW Help Desk will provide all employees with “best effort” support for technical issues, but Microsoft is ultimately responsible to provide support for this program, including any activation, purchase, shipping or refund issues.
- Employees are eligible to purchase one (1) single copy of any/all of the software products listed above.
- Employees remain eligible for this program as long as they remain employees of UMW. If you leave the university, the license agreement states you must remove the software product(s) from your personally-owned computer(s).
- Microsoft provides a detailed FAQ about this program: http://www.microsofthup.com/hupus/faq.aspx?culture=en-US
- If you have any questions not answered by the FAQ, please contact the Help Desk.
How Do I Make A Purchase?
- Go to http://www.microsofthup.com/hupus/home.aspx?culture=en-US
- Next, fill in your UMW email address, program code 7C4E859912, then click “Submit.”
- A email will be sent to you from “Microsoft HUP <firstname.lastname@example.org>” Check your junk mail if you do not receive it in a few minutes.
- Click the “Buy Now” button in the email and follow the instructions that follow to choose and purchase your software.
- If you have questions along the way, you can click the “FAQ” or “Customer Service” links at the top of the purchase page. Phone support is available by clicking the “Customer Service” link and then clicking the “Phone Support” link.