Hall Cheshire, Chief Information Officer
The groups and functions comprising the Information Technologies department include:
IT Support Services
(Jerry Slezak, Director, IT Support Services, firstname.lastname@example.org, 540-654-2118)
- IT Help Desk – Centralized IT Help Desk support for faculty, staff and students. Incident reporting, tracking and resolution for hardware, software, infrastructure, audio visual, phone or other IT related questions or problems
- New computer installation support; management of computer replacement cycles
- Computer desktop/laptop and printer repairs and replacements
- Classroom computers, computer labs, and classroom AV system support
Enterprise Application Services
- Management of the university’s centralized enterprise data environment and technical management and support for the integrated Banner administration information system.
- Provide business systems analysis and software development in support of Banner, the EagleNet portal, the EagleOne ID Card system, the Bosscars Parking Management system as well as other applications and data integration efforts.
- Provide technical support for the university’s data reporting environment and management decision making.
Information Technology Security
(Hall Cheshire, Interim Director of IT Security and ISO, email@example.com, 540-654-1379)
- Administer a comprehensive Information Security program to safeguard and protect the university’s enterprise data and systems
- Provide technical tools and services, education, awareness, and guidance for faculty, staff and students to ensure a safe and secure information technology environment for teaching and learning and university business operations.
- Support Identity Management initiatives.
- Conduct ongoing information technology risk assessments and ensure appropriate remediation as necessary.
IT Business Office
(Samantha McDonough, IT Business Office Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org, 540-654-1216)
- Budget and contract analysis and administration
- Procurement of IT goods and services to include ETF
- Equipment receiving, tagging and inventory of IT hardware and software licensing and associated peripheral equipment including inventory of external hard drives and mobile computing devices (iPads, Tablets, etc).
- Agency’s Information Technology Resource (AITR) responsible for compliance with the procedures, policies and guidelines established by the Chief Information Officer of the Commonwealth. The AITR acts as liaison between his/her agency and VITA, ensuring that information flows smoothly between the two parties and that right people are involved in the communication process. Specific AITR responsibilities include:
- Serve as primary point of contact for the agency for VITA communiqués and distribute to all affected parties within the agency and if necessary working with communication staff in the agency.
- Ensure that the agency IT investment information in the strategic plan is current and accurate in the Commonwealth Technology Portfolio tool, ProSight.
- Submit Commonwealth IT investments (projects and procurements) for approval to VITA in ProSight.
- Participate in AITR meetings conducted by VITA, present agency concerns to VITA and distribute meeting minutes to all affected parties in the agency.
- Work collaboratively with VITA to resolve issues and concerns.
- Attend AITR training to gain a better understanding of Commonwealth IT governance policies, standards, and guidelines, including IT Investment Management processes and the supporting portfolio system – ProSight.
- Perform other duties as necessary to ensure productive interaction with VITA to meet the agency’s IT need as driven by the agency’s business goals and objectives.
IT Infrastructure Administration
- Management and oversight for IT related projects and initiatives.
- Planning, support, guidance and technical oversight for IT related infrastructure requirements (network, access, hardware, software, A/V, phone, etc.) associated with capital projects building construction and renovation
- Strategic planning and senior technical oversight for upgrades and expansions of WANS, LANS, and data center services
Networks and Communications
(Deborah Hovey-Boutchyard, Director, Networks & Communications, email@example.com, 540-654-1217)
- Management of the university’s wired and wireless network and internet service provisioning
- Network security administration; traffic shaping and monitoring
- Email system administration for faculty, staff and students
- Management of telephone communications – Analog phone services as well as Voice Over Internet Protocol (VoIP)
Data Center Services
- Administration of centralized servers, data storage solutions, and data center services and operations in support of the university’s enterprise data and systems environment.
- Centralized system backup services
- Administration of the academic Computer Science server environment.
Project Management Office (PMO)
(Suzan Mastin, IT Project Manager, IT PMO, firstname.lastname@example.org, 540-654-5975)
- Promote use of the proper methodologies and best practice standards to ensure successful completion of the project
- Manage the IT project portfolio
- Keep UMW leadership and the project community informed
- Serve as consultant to the UMW community on IT Project Management practices
- Build Project Management maturity at the organizational level