Here are the steps necessary to set up your UMW NetID. If you have any questions or problems, please contact the Help Desk for assistance.
1. Find Your NetID & E-mail Address
You can find your NetID here: http://technology.umw.edu/helpdesk/netid/
You should see a result similar to this listing your NetID and E-mail address
Find your name in the search results. Under your name you will see your NetID and UMW e-mail address.
- Student email addresses end with @mail.umw.edu
- Employee email addresses end with @umw.edu
If you are unable to find your name after searching, your account may not have been created. If you are new to the university, or just paid a deposit, it may take a working day for the account to be created. If you have questions about this, please contact the Help Desk for assistance.
2. Know Your Temporary/Default Password
Temporary/Default passwords DO NOT allow you to log into UMW systems – they can only be used to reset your password.
All new accounts are given an 8-character temporary password.
This temporary password is comprised of:
Uppercase first letter of your legal first name
Lowercase first letter of your legal last name
Last 4 digits of your Social Security Number
2 digit designation of your birth month (e.g., April = 04)
First Name: John
Last Name: Smith
Last four numbers of your SSN: 1234
Birth month of July : 07
Temporary Password would be: Js123407
If the University has no Social Security number or birth date on file, use the Last 4 digits of your Banner ID + “99”. If you don’t know your Banner ID, please contact the Help Desk.
First Name: John
Last Name: Smith
Last 4 Digits of Banner ID: 7890
Temporary Password would be: Js789099
3. Reset Your NetID Password
To reset your NetID password go to http://password.umw.edu and click “Change your UMW NetID Password.”
Due to network security settings at your location, the password reset site may be blocked/inaccessible. This commonly occurs at public schools, military bases or similar public institutions. You must access the password reset page from a computer/network that does not block our site.
If you try too many times to change your password, or you try to login to our systems with a wrong password your account will lock. This is an IT security safeguard. You must wait 15 minutes for the account to automatically unlock before trying again.
- Enter your NetID.
- Enter your Old/Temporary Password.
- Come up with a new password that follows the password rules on the right side of the page and enter your password in the ‘New Password’ field.
- Re-enter in your password in the ‘Verify Password’ field.
- Finally, click the ‘Change Password’ button.
- If you see an “Error” message, then please correct your errors and try again. The most common error is not following the password rules on the right side of the page.
Once you have completed these steps, you can use your NetID and password will allow you to log into all University systems (excluding student e-mail) such as, Eaglenet, Canvas, the library databases, computers on campus, and more.
Many system logins can be accessed by clicking the icon at the top of the UMW homepage.
4. Setting up E-mail
- Go to https://login.microsoftonline.com/ to log in. You can also access this by going to http://webmail.umw.edu.
- Enter your full email address (for example: firstname.lastname@example.org) and your temporary/default password.
- The first time you log into your e-mail account you will be asked to change your password. After changing your password and logging back in with the new password you will be asked a few setup security questions; once you have answered those questions you will be brought to your mailbox.
- Employees use the NetID and Password to access email. You can use an email client like Outlook installed on your UMW computer, or access your email online at this address: http://webmail.umw.edu.