The Help Desk is one support mechanism of the Division of Information Technologies (DoIT) at the University of Mary Washington. Help Desk Personnel are both full time employees and part time student aides. Each student aide is responsible for providing technical support to the faculty, staff, and students. Individuals working at the Help Desk serve as the primary contacts for technology questions and concerns at the University. Students who work at the Help Desk must have superior technical as well as customer service skills. They must be able to answer the telephone, and to help those who may not be adept at describing technical problems give us the information that we need to help solve their problems. As a Help Desk student employee, the student must maintain the proper balance between academic responsibilities and the responsibilities of the position. The student employee is often the first point of contact between the user and DoIT; as a representative of DoIT, it is imperative to demonstrate courtesy and professionalism at all times.
Minimum Qualifications and Qualities
- Excellent Customer Service skills,
- Familiar with UMW network, email and other resources,
- Possess basic computer software & hardware knowledge (PC and MAC),
- Complete one complete semester at UMW prior to application,
- Demonstrate responsibility, maturity, technical expertise, and customer service skills,
- Good academic standing of at least a 2.5 cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA),
- Basic knowledge of Audio/Video systems ( DVD, VHS , Projector).
Period of Employment:
- Fall – August training and student move-in until the first day of final exams
- Spring – January training until the first day of final exams
- Summer – Each Summer Session
- August – All student aides will participate in the August training session and student move-in held the week before the start of fall semester.
- January – All student aides will participate in the January training session and student move-in held the week before the start of spring semester.
Each student aide is expected to adhere to the requirements in the Help Desk employee handbook, the student Code of Conduct, Network and Computer Use Policy, and all other UMW policies.
- Provide technical support in a timely and professional manner.
- Report to work on time and dress according to the Help Desk dress code.
- If you are sick and unable to report for work, you must call at least thirty minutes before the start of your shift.
- If you need time off you must find someone to work your shift.
- Hours during freshman move-in are extended as necessary.
- Educate faculty, staff, and students about technology issues.
- Advise faculty, staff, and students about the University computing policies when appropriate.
- Maintain a good working relationship with the Help Desk Manager, Operations Manager, and other User Services staff.
- Attend scheduled meetings (approximately three per semester)
- Attend all training sessions
- Log all calls and tickets
Acceptable Usage Policy:
Report known AUP violations to the Help Desk Manager, Operations Manager, or appropriate authority.
Scope of Technical Assistance
Help Desk student aides provide technical advice and consulting to faculty, staff, and students of the University of Mary Washington. This is limited to verbal assistance, hands-on system configuration, printer setup and software installation. This does NOT include support that requires the computer case to be opened. This also does NOT include the formatting of a fixed disk or the installation of the operation system. Hardware support and OS installations are the responsibility of the system owner. Assisting with classroom assignments is also prohibited and may be an Honor Code violation.