All faculty and staff computers are provided with licenses for Symantec EndPoint Protection software. If you do not have this software installed on your workstation, please contact the UMW IT Help Desk at (540) 654-2255. While virus protection is not provided for student owned computers, it is essential that computers are protected. Use an application such as Norton AntiVirus, McAfee Virus Protection or AVG Free to protect your computer.
Below are step-by-step instructions for using Symantec EndPoint Protection software to update virus definition files, schedule automatic virus definition updates, scan your computer for viruses, and schedule a virus scan. Before running a scan of your computer, it is imperative that you first update your virus definitions and remove infected e-mails from your computer. Before proceeding, you may want to print this page.
Scan for Viruses and Worms – Custom Scan:
- Open Symantec Endpoint Protection and click on Scan for Threats.
- Click on the Create a New Scan link.
- Highlight the radio button next to Custom Scan.
- You can choose to scan your entire computer, only one drive, or several drives. We’ve chosen to only scan the C drive in this example. Click Next.
- Click Next on the Scan options screen.
- You can choose when to scan. We’ve chosen At specified times in this example, then click Next.
- Choose how often you want to scan and at what time. Then click Next.
- Specify a name and description for the scan and then click Finish.