All faculty and staff computers are provided with licenses for Symantec Anti-Virus software. If you do not have this software installed on your workstation, please contact the UMW IT Help Desk at (540) 654-2255. While virus protection is not provided for student owned computers, it is essential that computers are protected. Use an application such as Norton AntiVirus, McAfee Virus Protection or AVG Free to protect your computer.
It is imperative that everyone update their virus definitions and remove infected e-mails from their machines. You may want to print this page and follow the instructions for how to do this.
Run a Scan of Your Computer Using Symantec:
Ensure That Your Software is Updated with the Latest Antivirus Definition Files:
- Once the software opens, click on the Live Update button on the upper left.
You may need to click on Update Everything Now.
- Live Update will then begin connecting to the Internet and downloading any virus definition updates. You’ll see this nifty graphic as it does its thing:
- When it is completed, you will get a list of all that was updated.
To Set Up Live Updates of Your Antivirus Application:
- After you are done getting the updates, you will get the Live Update dialogue box. To schedule live updates to happen automatically, click on Norton Scheduler.
- In the next dialogue box, you will get a blank window if no schedules have been entered previously. Click on New to specify a new Live Update schedule.
- In the next dialogue box, name this update schedule with something that means something to you. Then specify a time for the updates that is convenient for you—minimally once a week, optimally once a day.
- Click Save to save this update schedule.
You can also configure the software to scan your computer for viruses at regular intervals. Here’s how:
Scheduling Regular Computer Scans for Viruses
Now that you’ve got the latest anti-virus software and virus definitions regularly downloading, you’ll also want to regularly scan for viruses.
- In the next dialogue box, you will get a blank window if no schedules have been entered previously. Click on New to specify a new Virus Scanning schedule.
- In the next dialogue box, name the Virus Scanning schedule with something that means something to you. Then specify a time for the updates that is convenient for you. Note: It’s good to specify a time that will regularly be AFTER the Live Update. That way, each scan will be done with the latest and greatest tools.
- Click Save. You may now quit the application altogether, knowing that your computer will be protected from now on.