While there are numerous web browsers to use for daily use, INB works the best with Internet Explorer. Banner is best used with certain versions, and with certain security settings. If you are using a Windows environment, you should:
Use Internet Explorer 8
To determine the version of Internet Explorer that you have:
- Launch Internet Explorer.
- The version must be 6.xxx or higher. To determine the version, go to the Help Menu. Select About Internet Explorer.
- Go to https://technology.umw.edu/hss/banner/
Notes about Certified Browsers:
- Microsoft Internet Explorer v6 – with the Java plug-in
- Microsoft Internet Explorer v7 – with Java plug-in 1.16 or higher
- Netscape v7.0x – with Java plug-in
- Safari v1.2
- Mozilla Firefox – works, but is not certified
Modify IE Security Level
Internet Explorer’s security level must be set to allow for Banner forms to have query downloads access. To do so:
- Open Internet Explorer browser and click on the Tools menu.
- Choose Internet Options.
- Click on the Security tab.
- Click on Local intranet, then click on Custom level and scroll down about one-third of the way. Check the downloads area, to match the below image. Click OK.
- Click on Trusted sites.
- Click on the Sites button.
- Enter https://*.umw.edu into the Add this web site to the zone area.
- Click Close.
- Click on the Custom Level button.
- Find downloads about one-third of the way down and make sure it looks like below.
- Finally, click on the Privacy button and make sure you are set at medium and the block pop-ups is checked at the bottom. (as long as we have the umw.edu sites in the trusted area, this will cover all other pop-ups) then click OK.