When your Banner INB account is created, your password is set to expire upon first use. At this time, when you log into Banner INB, you will be forced to change your password. Subsequent to this, you will be forced to change your Banner INB password every 42 days. At this point in time, you will receive a warning. To change your password, click on the link on the right side of the Banner main menu, or go to GUAPSWD. Your Banner password must also follow certain guidelines when you create it.
Password Complexity Guidelines
Your Banner password must follow specified guidelines. Your new password:
- Must differ from your previous password by at least 3 characters.
- Must include at least one number.
- May not be the same as the username.
- Must be 8 characters or longer.
Passwords must be changed every 42 days and may not be reused for 24 changes or 1800 days, whichever is longer.
Password Has Expired
Your password may expire for one of two reasons:
- A security administrator manually expired your password, or
- The regular password lifespan has expired.
When your password expires, you will be forced to change it. When you try to access the Banner database (whether you are using Banner, or another application, such as MS-Access, SQL*Plus, etc.), you will see a dialog that will guide you in changing your password. (Banner users will first receive the following message: “ORA-28001: the password has expired”, and will need to click OK to see the dialog). If you cancel out of the change password dialog, you will not be able to log in. However, you will still have the opportunity to change the password the next time you try to login to Banner.
Account Is Locked
Your Banner account may become locked for one of two reasons:
- Failure to change password: Your account may become locked if you do not change your password during the grace period (described above). Your account will also be locked if it is not used for 90 days. A security administrator may also manually lock accounts in extreme circumstances to prevent potential security breaches. Accounts locked for these reasons will remain locked until manually unlocked by the security administrator.
- Failed Login Attempts: Your account will also be locked automatically after 3 failed login attempts. In this case, the account will remain locked until a security administrator unlocks it, and sets it to be expired. To have your account unlocked, you should contact the Help Desk (Voice: (540) 654.2255, Email: HelpDesk@umw.edu).