You can extract data from a Banner form to a spreadsheet. You can extract detail data from the current block with or without data from the key block. Once Banner data is in a spreadsheet, you can easily graph and report the data.
Availability of the Extract Feature
SunGard Higher Education delivers the extract feature on all validation forms, and also on a limited number of rule, application, and inquiry forms where the feature has been tested. This feature has been tested on the following non-validation forms:
|Extract details with or without key data:||Extract details only:|
Your system administrator can use the Object Maintenance Form (GUAOBJS) to enable the extract feature on any form where the extract has been tested.
Extract results are unpredictable on forms that have not been tested with this feature. If you want to extract data on an untested form, your system administrator can consider enabling the extract feature on GUAOBJS. SunGard does not support this feature on untested forms, but will, however, continue to test more forms and expand support with future releases.
You can tell that the extract feature is enabled on a specific form if one or both of the following options is enabled in the Help drop-down menu for the form:
- Extract Data with Key extracts details in the current block with key data.
- Extract Data No Key extracts details in the current block without key data.
The Data Extract Option field on GUAOBJS determines whether one, both, or neither of these extract options is available for a form.
You can save the data to a file with a .csv extension or you can display it as text in a new browser window, depending on what is set up on the Directory Options window of the General User Preferences Maintenance Form (GUAUPRF).
To set up data extract:
- Access the General User Preferences Maintenance Form (GUAUPRF).
- Click the Directory Options button at the top of the form. The Directory Options window appears.
- Scroll to the record where Description is Internet Native data extract format: FILE (.csv) or TEXT.
- If you want your extracted data to be placed into a file in comma separated value format (with a .csv extension), enter FILE in the User Value field.
ORIf you want your extracted data to be displayed in a separate browser window, enter TEXT. The information is display-only, but you can save it in a variety of formats.
- Scroll to the record where Description is Enter the name of your Web Output URL.
- In the User Value field, enter the URL that contains the logic used to pull extracted data from the database and display it in a browser window.
- Click the OK button.
To extract data in Banner:
- Access the Banner form.
- If applicable, display the desired records on the form.
- Select one of the following options from the Help drop-down menu:
- Extract Data with Key (to extract key data and data in the current block)
- Extract Data No Key (to extract data in the current block only)
Extracted data is displayed in a browser window.
- For Internet Explorer, use the browser File>Save As option to save the extracted data to a local directory as a .txt file. Then rename the file as a .csv file.